Skype
absoluteDETH

An Improv on Freedom An Improv on Freedom

Always a pleasure.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I'm glad to hear that, thank you :)

Return Return

LucidShadowDreamer has been slowly introducing me to your work, and I find myself thoroughly grateful for this. If there ever was a piece that required the entirety of the soul to comprehend; The immensity of human suffering to grasp; The sweet sorrowful lament of a grief stricken deity to epitomize; It's this one. It recalls a faint image of the past, perhaps one too painful to fully remember, but one that brands your heart all the same. The sweeping melody and weeping strings describe without words the unfathomable depths of loss, in which beauty is inextricably entangled for all of time. One fails to supply words sufficient enough to do this piece justice, for there are no words that can seed such a wellspring of emotion as this does...

Thank you.

Phonometrologist responds:

I must apologize for not replying sooner. I don't take these for granted, especially when it's as poetic as this. I find myself reading this over from time to time in admiring the smooth alliteration in the message/ image you have put forth by your interpretation. And I'd have to agree with what you've said that where emotions fail to put into words, music may then suffice in bridging that gap.
>>It recalls a faint image of the past, perhaps one too painful to fully remember
I find that statement to stand out for me from the rest. It reminds me of what music does for me and that is to strike up a feeling... of what I have once forgotten.

Mad Microphone Test Mad Microphone Test

Aha, so I'm not the only one that will upload two different versions of something affixed to each other in order to augur a positive response from either similar quality piece.
Your singing could use some work, but I'm sure you knew that. Accents aside, you support your sound little to none, sing from the throat, and have wide vowels.
Regardless of any mistakes, it still took some courage to just throw together a cover and upload it where everyone can see.
I prefer the second one, as you were able to support just a tiny bit better after backing off.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Well, more than that, I want to know which settings work better for the microphone. I actually don't really intend to use it for recording singing in general, but more for intruments and talking (potential voice acting). But yeah, sure :p
I recorded the second version today, when no one was home, and I had access to my other piano with better sound and a better location for the microphone, which gave me the idea to try it again. If I was really serious though, I would have set up mattresses all over my room, recorded the piano separately, and I would have stood up while singing and actually practiced on beforehand. I don't have the time for that though, nore the will. This, I will probably do if I ever write a song of my own though :3

My singing could use tons of work! Lucky for me, I'm a pianist, and not a singer :)
I'm not even trying at any specific accent (well, apart from the redneck one, which I didn't upload, although it was clearly the funniest version). The vowel thing is probably because I come from Finland, where vowels are more used than consonants, and are pronounced differently than in the U.S.

I don't think it took a lot of courage though, I was pretty much joking about that. Years ago, it would have taken some courage. But you'll notice that as we grow up, we don't usually become embarrassed as easily as when we're still in school age. It's not because we have better self-esteem I think, but more because we learn to take criticism, and accept it, which is an important part of growing up. This is even more true for artists like me, who are used to being on stage. It's always fun to turn one's own incompetence into jokes though, I've done it several times live, and have gotten good reactions. Then, no matter how bad you perform after that, people will still remember the performance with a positive mood (if the prepping was done well), and if you perform masterfully, it will be a nice surpire :)
Experience talking ;)

I think the second version is better too. The audio levels seem more properly at balance, and you can't hear me breathing and doing other weird mouth noises as much either.

Thanks for the review and for the ridiculously high score!

本当の青空 - Hontō no ao 本当の青空 - Hontō no ao

Nice work, LSD.
Good song to get lost to.
Also, why in the hell was this not put on my feed?
I don't like missing uploads.

Thanks, Dylan :3

Interesting how both you and the previous reviewer decided to use the word lost :O

Ahh, this wasn't in you feed? Oh well, things like that happen on all websites from time to time. I too occasionally check on the people I follow to see whether I've missed something that they've done.

Älvjakt Älvjakt

I'd send you a high five in the mail if you were to upload someone reading this with the song in the background. 'Tis beautiful, if a bit muddy in quality, but that matters not in background music.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Actually, you don't even have to read the poem, as you can sing it! Too bad I lack a good microphone :( That, and the fact that I suck at singing :/ My sister probably wouldn't want her singing online either XD
THAT said, reading the poem with this as backround music is a great idea!
The quality is indeed a bit muddy; a lot of reverb increases both the dreamy feel and the muddiness :3
Thanks for the review!
I didn't review it, but I liked your last artwork :D

Medieval Adventure Medieval Adventure

Pretty good, I'd say. It's a little off when it comes to rhythm sometimes, but even that still has appeal. In my opinion, it sounds like a zelda-esque piece put through a distortion. This distortion being not of sound, but of concept, turning the youthful tale of a hero into a tale of loss, anger, and resolve. (Not necessarily in that order, either.)
Zelda-esque meaning old Zelda. Figured I needed to point that out as newer Zelda orchestrations seem to pull off those latter vibes as well.

ANYWAY, I enjoyed it.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks! It's definitely off when it comes to rhythm, you're right in that :p
I can kinda see your Zelda comparison. This is a pretty dark song, at least in my opinion. There are some parts of heroism, but it's always shaded by heavier tones.

How have you been doing lately? Haven't heard from you since your latest newspost :3

Dark Colors Dark Colors

Good to see you've got some life left in ya. That said, this is beautiful. This has a lot more movement than I had originally expected, and I find that wonderful. Like with all your music, I could sit here for hours and just listen. Keep it up, sir.

Aww, thanks a million!